This week’s recipe comes from Fiona Wilcock.
Herby Meatballs in Pepper and Tomato Sauce
Use whichever fresh or dried herbs you have available to flavour this recipe. Whether it is mint, parsley, rosemary or coriander, each works well and gives a distinct flavour. These meatballs are simply cooked on top of the sauce making a very easy supper dish which is low in fat, high in iron and vitamin C. Lean lamb or mince are a good source of iron which is essential for making red blood cell. People with restless leg syndrome and fatigue are often prescribed iron tablets, and this dish will help replenish your iron stores with iron-rich food.
Makes 4 portions
Preparation time 10 minutes and Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the meatballs
500g pack lean mince, beef or lamb
2 cloves garlic,
20g fresh ginger, peeled, or 1 tbs ready chopped fresh
10-15g fresh herbs e.g. mint, parsley or coriander or 1 -2 tsp dried
Few sprigs of rosemary, removed from the stalk, (optional)
Half a slice of bread,
Rind of one lemon, finely grated
For the sauce:
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 large onion finely chopped, or 240g frozen chopped onion,
1 cloves garlic, crushed
160g frozen chopped peppers, or 1 pepper, cut into pieces,
400g can chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
2 bay leaves
To serve: 2 tbsp chopped coriander, parsley or more mint
- Place all the meatball ingredients except the mince in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Add the minced beef or lamb and process until the mixture clumps together. Leave whilst you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a deep saute pan and gently fry the onions for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the peppers and garlic and cook for a few minutes to defrost the peppers.
- Now tip in the content of the can of tomatoes, tuck in the bay leaves and bring to simmering point. Season with black pepper and/ or a pinch of salt.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking, divide the meatball mixture into 8 or 12 equal portions and form into a ball or egg shape.
- Place the meatballs on top of the sauce, cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. (check the juice runs clear when cut with a knife).
- Sprinkle your chopped herbs of choice and serve at once.
Serving suggestion: Serve with orzo or spicy rice and salad or a green vegetable.
Storage: Keep in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Alternatively, freeze for up to 3 months, and thaw in the fridge before reheating until piping hot.
Nutritional analysis per portion
Data is per portion, . And takes account of cooking losses.
Energy kcal 260 Protein g 30.6
Carbohydrate g 15.0 Of which sugars g 9.0
Fibre g 4.0 Salt g 0.8
Fat g 9.1 Of which saturates g 2.5
Iron mg 5, Vitamin C mg 32.0
Copyright Fiona Wilcock 2020