Allen Family The Chilterns MS Centre nestles between the woods at Wendover and the RAF community at Halton and has...
New Patient or Recently Diagnosed
Recently diagnosed or New to the Centre
We know that receiving a diagnosis may be scary and you might not feel like you need any treatment or support at this time. However, studies have shown that early intervention can help to minimise the effects of some symptoms and can enable you to manage them so that you can continue everyday life as fully and as normally as possible.
We can help you on several levels; practically, emotionally and socially. We can help to answer some of the many questions that you will have and can provide the opportunity to meet people in similar situations in our friendly setting, to share experiences or hear how others cope with their MS.
As well as those living with MS, we also support family members and carers who are also affected by the condition, helping them to adjust to life with MS and ensuring that their wellbeing is also considered.
Benefits of becoming a member
Whether you have MS yourself, or you are a family member or carer of someone with MS, everyone is welcome to become a member of the Centre. Becoming a member offers you:
- Fast access to our services and support 51 weeks of the year.
- Advice and signposting to additional support services
- A friendly place to come and meet others in a similar situation
- Social activities and great cakes!
Membership is just £25 per year
Whilst we don’t make an additional charge for any of our treatments, classes or workshops, we do encourage people to make a regular donation if they can. Receiving these treatments privately would be very costly, but by asking for donations this enables everyone with MS to have access to the treatment and support they need.
How to become a member?
To become a member ask your GP, MS Nurse or Neurologist to refer you to the Centre. Once we receive the referral letter we will contact you to invite you for the assessment. Assessment appointments are normally offered within 2-4 weeks of receiving a referral. Treatment can start within 2 weeks following your assessment so the process is very quick. During your assessment we will talk to you about your symptoms and your goals, and assess the best course of treatment or support for you at that time. You can then become a member and access all of our services, workshops, social groups and advice.
You will be given a bespoke treatment plan and may be referred to some of our services such as physio, oxygen, counselling, occupational therapy, speech & language therapy or complementary therapy. You can also attend any of our workshops or social groups.
Family and carers can become members too, without the need for a referral, as long as the person with MS has become a member of the Centre.
You are more than welcome to book a tour of the Centre and chat to us about what we offer – fill the Request for Centre Tour form on this page.
What if I cannot get to you in working hours?
If you are working full time, or simply don’t want to attend on a regular basis that’s fine. Whatever your situation we are here to let you know what is available to you and to answer your questions.
Here are just some of the things that we offer outside of our treatments:
- We run a monthly pub get together called CMS Connect, for people mostly in their 30s and 40s. This is a friendly welcoming group, ideal for new people to connect with Centre members in a fun and friendly social setting. They understand what you are going through and can offer great friendship and support. Contact the group today for more information email@example.com
- Workshops are run throughout the year on a number of topics from how to manage a healthy diet, practical wheelchair courses or emotional well-being.
- Regular Pilates and Yoga Classes, with some of these being in the evenings
- A monthly newsletter for members. Sign up to find out on what’s going on at the Centre, fundraising events and much more. Simply complete the Newsletter sign up form in the footer of this page.